On My Blindness

Last night when I went to bed,
I was very confused and afraid.
For the thought that made me dread
Was "Is a blind man's life as good as being dead"?

Sleep was the treasure, very hard to find
For the thought that continuously came to my mind
Was what my life would be if I go blind?

How will I be able to make myself do,
The things that I got to do, the things I had in view.
How will I be able to play, to fool around?
Wouldn't I hurt someone in the ground?
Would that mean no friends, no social life?
Will I have to do without a beautiful wife?

In sorrow when I closed my eyes
Guess who came by my side
It was Ray Charles Robinson, the piano guy
The answer to all my sorrows was this Albany boy
He was famous and had a great life
With twelve kids from seven women, and married twice
He was good at what he did
Number ten on the immortals' list
He was blind when he was seven
But he abandoned the sorrows when he was eleven
He flew over the mountain so high
And never asked: Why me? Why? Why? Why?
When he could do it, then why can't I
 These inspiring thoughts brought sleep back to my eyes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just One Time

Lost in Transition

Uncomfortable Silence